Tuesday, July 5, 2011

A Portrait. Faux Pas #2

One of my students was gone on Friday. As we lined up for lunch today, I jested with him about his absence.

"Did you decide to start your holiday early, Mr. Jones?"
"Nah."
"Well what were you up to then?" I inquired with a sneaky smile.
"A guy was shot outside my house."

"Oh, I'm so sorry. Wow, I am really sorry."
"It's alright."

This is a fourteen-year old man with tattoos along his arms and a glass bottle of cologne in his pocket.
This is a fourteen-year old boy who was upset when he got back his test and didn't do well enough on it to warrant a checkmark signaling mastery of the objective.

Mr. Jones ran back into class today after he had been dismissed. He was frantically searching for the praise letter I had written him.

I told him to be sure to show it to his momma.

He smiled and waved goodbye.

No comments:

Post a Comment