Thursday, June 9, 2011

Hot, Flat, and Friendly

I arrived in Cleveland, MS a few days ago. The two-day drive included sausages at the delightfully dive-y Flying Wienie in Cedar Rapids, IA, hours of gazing at the pastoral landcapes of the Middle West, a billboard advertising a political candidate named "Wealthia White," construction in Memphis, a triumphant passing of the blue "Welcome to Mississippi" sign, and a bit of gluttony as I got my first taste of Southern cuisine (including blackened catfish, fried okra, catfish gumbo, and hush puppies!).

I must say that thus far the Mississippi heat is not terribly unlike that of an exceptionally hot summer day in Minnesota, although I anticipate its persistence may be what makes it so notable. For now, I am enjoying the air-conditioned buildings of Delta State University and the shady lawns of the campus quadrangle that I pass through in between sessions. I have already learned so much and gotten to know so many people that I feel like I've been here for weeks.

In short, all is well, and already I can't wait to start teaching my summer students and getting to know the local communities.

No comments:

Post a Comment